A family trip is always tricky, especially for the one that’s organising because you are likely to try make everyone happy, and end up being the miserable one. Well, the key lies in prioritising and having a variety of activities to accommodate different interests, especially when you are travelling with your parents and young ones. This holiday season, we narrowed down four family-friendly holiday destinations for you and your loved ones with recommended activities based on convenience, ease of travel, safety and fun. Bringing your lovely parents and children out can be an easy, fun and fulfilling experience!
1. Bali, Indonesia
While pre-pandemic you may have felt “Bali, again?!” The famed “Land of the Gods” is fast becoming a hot favourite with large families and families with kids thanks to its proximity to Singapore, accessibility, and wide variety of activities and accommodations to suit every budget.
- Beautiful beach clubs and water sports like surfing to keep the younger members entertained
- Countless trendy hipster cafes and coffee haunts throughout Bali for delicious and nutritious meals catering to various dietary restrictions
- Availability of relaxing pool villas with access to nearby beaches that can house the whole extended family
- Use apps like Klook to rent pool floats and book activities in Bali with ease
- Savour yummy Babi Guling (suckling pig) and crispy dirty duck at Bebek Bengil or if you’re struggling with family members who don’t feel like leaving the villa, order in from a nearby warung, cafe or restaurant, with GoJek!
Here’re some uncommon, but fun, family-friendly activities in Bali:
- Take a rewarding sunrise trek up a volcano and soak in hot springs (offered by various tour operators) – The hike will take about 2 hours, depending on your fitness level
- Soak in holy spring water at the sacred Tirta Empul Water Temple
- Explore Ubud on a half-day electric bike tour with the elderly and young
- Learn how to do basic batik painting
- Unwind with a host of wellness experiences such as yoga, breathwork, and sound healing therapy
2. Victoria, Australia
If you’re looking for a travel destinations that will give your parents plenty of memories to talk about with their relatives and friends, we’d recommend flying into Melbourne and taking a road trip down one of the world’s most scenic coastal drives along the Great Ocean Road in Victoria, Australia.
- Take a walk and escape into the lush greenery in the Royal Botanic Gardens in Melbourne
- Younger family members can go on a Kayak Tour to enjoy the view of Melbourne’s skyline
- Kick back and taste wines in Yarra Valley, one of the most celebrated wine regions in Australia
- Head to Logan’s Beach between May – October 2022 and look out for whales
- Spot and admire actual wild koalas at The Kennett River Koala Walk
- Marvel at the legendary limestone cliffs while travelling along the Great Ocean Road
Self-drive or Day Tours
Whether you choose to self-drive or to go on a tour, you’ll be making memories of a lifetime. With car rental rates in Australia so pocket-friendly and starting from just S$60.59 per day, self-driving is a good option for a flexible holiday with a customised itinerary to suit you and your family’s needs and interests.
For those who don’t drive, you may consider hopping on a mini bus tour for groups with a size of up to 24 people. This day trip tour package to the Great Ocean Road is inclusive of lunch so you don’t have to rack your brains on where and what to eat. So convenient!
Still on the fence about Australia as a destination? We’ve also got an article on what to consider when you’re travelling to Australia.
#TiqOurWord While Apollo Bay is our favourite for a panoramic view of the harbour and coastline from Mariners Lookout, the highlight of your Great Ocean Road trip is surely the Twelve Apostles!
3. Lopburi Province, Thailand
Apart from the usual weekend getaway to Bangkok in “The Land of Smiles”, we’d suggest an itinerary that would satisfy the shoppaholics, history buffs, all-time foodies, nature lovers, and delight children. After visiting the bustling Bangkok city, head to the ancient town of Lopburi just 2 hours from Bangkok by train.
Cater to different interests at one destination – Lopburi Province:
- Take a scenic train ride to Lopburi Province in Central Thailand that passes by Ayutthaya city, a UNESCO World Heritage Centre – consider this as a pitstop in your itinerary if you have the time
- Take in the breathtaking the blooming sunflowers at the Saraburi Sunflower Fields in November – February
- Culture buffs and wildlife lovers will enjoy a visit to Phra Prang Sam Yod (The Monkey Temple)
- Indulge in tranquility at Wang Kan Lueng Waterfall, Lopburi’s only waterfall, that boasts deep blue-green streams
If you’re looking for more options outside of Lopburi for an authentic family holiday to Thailand, check out our article here.
4. Penang, Malaysia
If time is limited, a short family trip to Penang actually makes for a great long weekend holiday. Just a mere 1 hour 20 minutes plane ride away from Singapore, Penang has much similarity with Singapore so that our parents will feel at ease, and at the same time, enjoy delicious food that they perceived to be of the long-lost taste of their younger days.
- Take photos and make new memories admiring street art of Penang
- Visit the famous Kek Lok Si Temple, one of Southeast Asia’s largest Buddhist temples
- Deepen your understanding of Penang’s Peranakan cultural heritage at Pinang Peranakan Mansion and join workshops to make kasut nenek (Peranakan Beaded Shoes)
- Enjoy a cooking class with your parents at Tropical Spice Garden
#TiqOurWord While For a stunning view overlooking Penang, head up to Penang Hill with your family in one of the world’s steepest funicular rails.
So, what will your pick be from these 4 family-friendly places for a group holiday? Before you go ahead and book your flight tickets, we have another tip for you – bring along a letter from the doctor in case of any emergencies if either of your parent or grandparent has any pre-existing medical condition.
Bon voyage and don’t forget to purchase your travel insurance before taking off!
Cover your travel needs with Tiq Travel Insurance
Did you know that Tiq Travel Insurance covers pre-existing medical conditions for travellers, an essential feature that is not commonly offered in local travel insurance coverage? You will also have the flexibility to customise your travel insurance plan with add-ons such as child education and pet hotel cover.
Tiq Travel Insurance by Etiqa is the #1 travel insurance rated on Seedly (Oct 2021) with value-added services such as:
- Automated flight delay claims upon a 3-hour delay
- 24-hour world-wide emergency travel support
- Comprehensive COVID-19 Cover add-on
- Coverage for Cruise-to-Nowhere
- Full refund if you need to cancel your travel policy
- And more!
Learn more about Tiq Travel Insurance and check out our promotions or get a quote now!
- How to Choose the Right Travel Insurance
- 7 Essential Roadtripping Tips for Young Families
- Annual Travel Insurance vs Single Trip Travel Insurance
Information is accurate as at 14 September 2022. This policy is underwritten by Etiqa Insurance Pte. Ltd. (Company Reg. No. 201331905K). Protected up to specified limits by SDIC.
Tiq by Etiqa Insurance Pte. Ltd.
A digital insurance channel that embraces changes to provide simple and convenient protection, Tiq’s mission is to make insurance transparent and accessible, inspiring you today to be prepared for life’s surprises and inevitabilities, while empowering you to “Live Unlimited” and take control of your tomorrow.
With a shared vision to change the paradigm of insurance and reshape customer experience, Etiqa created the strong foundation for Tiq. Because life never stops changing, Etiqa never stops progressing. A licensed life and general insurance company registered in the Republic of Singapore and regulated by the Monetary Authority of Singapore, Etiqa is governed by the Insurance Act and has been providing insurance solutions since 1961. It is 69% owned by Maybank, Southeast Asia’s fourth largest banking group, with more than 22 million customers in 20 countries; and 31% owned by Ageas, an international insurance group with 33 million customers across 16 countries.
Discover the full range of Tiq online insurance plans here.